Professor Michaeline Asuquo Isawumi is a Professor of Ophthalmology. She obtained MBBCh in 1989, MSc Community Eye Health in 2002 from University College London, FMCOphth 2003, FWACS 2004, FICS 2007, and a Fellow of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus obtained from L V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India, 2009.
She is presently the Dean of Clinical Sciences, College of Health Sciences, Osun State University. She is a member of American Academy of Ophthalmology, American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus (AAPOS) and World Society for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus (WSPOS).
Prof Isawumi’s past Positions held include: Ag Head of Ophthalmology at Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), Osogbo; Ag Head of Department of Surgery in Osun State University, Ag, Dean, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences,Ag. Dean, Faculty of Clinical sciences, Osun State University, Member, Board of Post-Graduate Studies, Senate amongst others.
Her research interests are on General, Community and Pediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus. She is a project consultant to Lions Club International Foundation (LCIF) on the project “SIGHT FIRST” 2019-2024 and one of the Facilitators for the SiB (Seeing Is Believing) Project in Osun State of Nigeria. (2017-18). She is a reviewer for many local and international journals
She has attended many national and international conferences with many papers presented
Grants and Scholarship Awarded:
- DFID (Common Wealth Scholarship) for MSc-CEH, University College London. 2001-2002
- Orbis Fellowship for training in Paediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus. LV Prasad Eye Institute, India in 2009
- World Health Organization (WHO)/Lions Club Foundation International grant for Prevention of Childhood Blindness, Osogbo Satellite centre 2013- 2015
- World Ophthalmology Congress 2014 Travel grant to Tokyo
- TETFund research grant for control and prevention of blindness in rural communities of Osun State 2015
- Travel grant to attend the joint American Academy of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus(AAPOS) and Strabismus and Paediatric Ophthalmology Society of India (SPOSI) conference at Jaipur, India, December 2016
- Lions Club International training grant for Phocoemulsification surgical techniques 2020